A strong letter of recommendation can distinguish a candidate’s application from the rest. Taking the time to obtain a letter of recommendation will leave a positive impact with the employer or recruiter reviewing the application. On the other hand, writing a letter of recommendation is a great way to pay it forward and contribute to the success of the candidate’s career.
Whether you are the candidate requesting the letter, or the employer responsible for writing the recommendation, it is essential to understand how to write a letter of recommendation that will leave a lasting impression.
What makes a compelling letter of recommendation?
Here are some helpful guidelines to write a strong letter of recommendation:
- Print the letter on company letterhead
- Personalization and sincerity is key – avoid using letter of recommendation templates
- Explain the professional relationship and the duration spent working with the candidate
- Give specific examples of the value and impact that the candidate has made in the company
- Highlight the candidate’s hard and soft skills that greatly benefitted the company
- When signing off the letter, include a handwritten signature along with the employer’s typed name, job title, and contact information
- Proofread to avoid typos or grammatical errors